Friday, January 11, 2013

34


Summer 1991



Over the summer, I finished the book ‘Interview with the vampire’, and began my journey into
he Vampire Lestat’. I spent my days sleeping and my nights reading, locked in my room away
from my father. I ventured into the kitchen for food when everyone was sleeping. I heard my
father grumbling in his sleep and speaking some unintelligable words mixed with whimpers. My
parents had long since been sleeping in seperate rooms, and my mother’s room was silent, all
but her snoring.



I crept past my brother’s room which was locked. I always had the urge to rap upon his door
just to irritate him. I wonder why I had such mischevious thoughts. His door was
silent. I saw the little smurf sticker that I had placed on his otherwise bare door. Brainy
smurf smiled at me as if he had some secret. hehe Maybe he was really gay and was hiding in
his little smurf closet. The thought tickled me and i stiffled a laugh. I ventured down the
dark hallway and through the kitchen. There I surveyed the room wondering what snack I would
attack. I looked in the frig and then in the cupboard, I found some beanie weanies and a
nutty buddy. I grabbed those and a soda…stard at the bottle of ‘cooking wine’that my
brother was fooling my parents with and closed the curtain to the cupboard. I heard the
crickeets screaming outside and hesitated. I heard something else there too. It sounded just
like someone scratching the window. I thought of poltergeist, when the little boy heard the
tree scratching his window right before the possessed tree pulled him from his room and
tried to swallow him whole. I shivered then smiled.



I sat my can of beanies down and leaned over the sink. The outside was illuminated by the
porch light. I could only see a couple feet into the darkness. The wind blew lightly and the
light bulb swung throwing shadows on the porch. “Pfft, nothing…you silly girl”, I thought,
“just all that vampire reading got you spooked.



But I vouched against going outside tonight, I was actually afraid, yes afraid…lil ole me.



I returned to my room and read about Magnus…about when he made Lestat into a vampire.



June 12, 1991



Today, the Theatre de Vampyre welcomed Claudia and Louis de Pointe du lac into their
coven…and I closed the book. Taking a long exhaled, I wandered outside to look at the
stars. It was clear and there were so many up there. There were no scratching noises outside
tonight, nor were there any crickets to keep me company. I sat on the concrete steps with my
back against the back door. My toes curled around the hard steps and my nipples grew erect
from the little breeze that blew across my sweaty chest. My waist long auburn hair was
draped over my shoulders and seemed to lay immune to the breeze. “Oh, i think the breeze
wishes to only arouse me.” I laughed.



I thought of Nasha and wondered if she was reading her copy of the vampire chronicles. Then
I heard the wind speak softly in my ears…it told me to be quiet and still my thoughts.



July 6,1991



We went camping again with my sister and her family. I always loved these vacations at



Sardis lake. Camping and fishing and swimming were always so much fun. As my father and my



brother n law stayed out all day fishing for bass and cropie, and while mother and my sister



gossiped about soap operas at the camp site; me and my neices played at the water’s edge.



Tonight we will have a fish fry while the men drink. Us women will clean up their mess and



sit under the stars.



I will read my book by latern light. I am reading the Queen of the Damned now. I really like


Baby Jenks, but I think she will die soon.






No comments:

Post a Comment